What we had to accomplish in this project was to redraw a dated set of drawings (In the architectural drafting stage) and making some changes in order to improve the overall structural stability while reducing the overall construction cost (in the structural design stage).
First of all, to define the extent of the changes we started with determining the Structural load specifications using the data accumulated from prior events, a statistical probability of occurrence and interpretation and recommendations by local governments/local jurisdictions.
In order to achieve the goal, we started with eliminating some of the dormers to simplify the roof.
The second challenge was to lineup the breezeway itself and the roof and columns due to some additional changes that we made to simplify the breezeway.
The third and the main challenge was to improve the stability of the overall structure due to the drastic wind exposure location in St. Augustin Florida (exposure category D).